directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Shared modifications impact on studio and ads
Date Thu, 21 Jan 2010 00:37:19 GMT
Felix Knecht a écrit :

> On 21.01.2010 01:15, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> today, Felix fixed some open JIRA on Shared, renaming Rdn to RDN. It's
>> fine, but this has some deep impact on the server,
>>

> Sorry about that :(

No, it was the right move. I was expecting such a problem, and this is
why I was lazzy anough to differ the renaming :)
> as we depend on a
>
>> shared SNAPSHOT.
>>
>> At some point, we may want to decouple the server from the shared
>> snapshots to avoid having hundreds of compilation failures in ADS (or in
>> Studio).
>>
>> Studio ha ssolved that by pointing on stable release of Shared, and I
>> think we must do that on ADS too.
>>

> Yes, we should do so. I remember a discussion on the maven dev list,
> when they started to clean up their snapshot repository. There's also a
> policy somewhere saying that snapshots older than x days may be removed
> from the repository. This may lead into the situation that a snapshot
> dependency isn't available anymore when somebody does a new checkout of
> the project and wants to build it or when you dropped your local .m2
> repository.

We are lucky enough to have the possibility to regenerate the SNAPSHOT
when needed, as we just have to build the top level project.
> Having snapshot dependencies to foreign artifacts (not of the own
> project as a module) may cause problems some day ...
>

>> It may mean more release on Shared, but I think it's a good choice.
>>

> Yep

Let's try to see what are the consequences of such a change by the end
of this week then.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,