directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Q about some LDAP API data structure
Date Sun, 24 Jan 2010 23:41:26 GMT
I have some doubt.

yesterday, I created two new sub-projects, ldap-client and
kerberos-client. Ldap-client project depends on shared and apacheds, and
is supposed to contain the new LDAP API.

That being said, I have an issue when dealing with data structure like
Control. It's being used by the client and by the server, but I have to
decide where to put it : in shared or in ldap-client.

My first impression was hat it should be part of the ldap-client
project, but then we can't manipulate many of the internal shared
classes depending on Control (like LDIF classes). On the other hand, I
can put in in shared, but suddently, it makes the ldap API users' life
miserable, as they now have to deal with two dependencies.

I'm now thinking that we should go way farther, and move to ldap-client
many more than just a few classes, keeping in shared just the bare
minimal classes common to all the projects. We also have to create a
ldap-server project depending on ldap-client and shared, in order to
provide the strict minimal API for clients.

At this point, I'm holding my work and wait for some insight from the
team, before going any further.

Not that it will take weeks to reorganize, but just to make sure all our
bases are covered.

So waiting for your thoughts, guys !

--
Regards,