directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@symas.com>
Subject [Studio] Configuration UI
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2015 21:28:07 GMT
Hi,

I face an issue that requires some thought - and potentially some rework
in both the ApacheDS and OpenLDAP configuration editors -.

Once upon a time, we had many versions of the ApacheDS configuration
plugin, because every time we changed the configuration, we had to adapt
the UI. We decided to get rid of all those plugins, to only keep the
latest version (ie 2.0). Th pb is exactly teh same for the OpenLDAP
configuration : it evolves...

Finding the best way to deal with this problem is not simple. It's not
only a pb of loading the right config, it's also a pb with the UI
itself. ATM, I don't see any good solution to get an UI that is
adaptative, but defining a new plugin for each version, which is
extremelly heavy, or a complex handling of the UI with various checks to
handle all the possibilities.

First, I do think that for ApacheDS, we can keep going with only one
plugin, because we expect our users to migrate to the latest ApacheDS
version, until we reach a 2.0. It's not ideal, but this is most
certainly the right thing to do.

For OpenLDAP, it's really different, because there are tens of thousand
users with many different versions (and I'm just talking about the 2.4
revision, which, as of today, has 41 versions). It makes it impossible
to ignore older versions (up to a point), especially for all those who
are installing the broken and antiquated versions 'provided' (so to
speak) by distribution (RH, Debian, etc...)

So, what are our options ?

Currently, we define some Java bean to store the attribute's value. That
means we have to also keep a track of which attribute exists in each
version (this is not done atm), so that we don't inject unexisting
attributes, or simply have missing ones. The other aspect we have to
deal with is the GUI itself : how do we present the parameters and their
values, when it can change fro version to version ?

At some point in the future, we coud imagine to leverage the template
editor, but that would require some adaptation (typically, if we want to
add popups, as it's not supported). But that would be a lot of work.

A simpler option would be to have templates for each configuration
ObjectClass, but we would use a much simpler GUI : the user would have
to use the LDAP browser to switch from one configuration element to
another. Quite basic, but an elegant presentation is possible.

Anyway, a lot to think about, and I'd liek to have your opinion about
what could be the best way to go.

Thanks !