directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] release Package tests needed !
Date Sat, 25 Apr 2015 12:27:46 GMT
Le 25/04/15 13:35, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
>> Although I think that we should propose two ways to proceed :
>> - one which is destructive (binaries, data, config)
>> - one which keep the config and data
> Makes sense. dpkg / apt-get have two options / commands:
> * -r / remove: should only delete the binaries
> * -P / purge: also delete config
>
> But rpm only has one option -e to erase a package.
>
> On the other hand we always backup the data and config in /var/lib into
> a tgz.

The thing is that with milestones, we don't expect the config and data
to be kept intact between two version s(for instance, we are going to
have some shcema change between the current version and the next one).

This is something we have to address in the future : offering a way to
upgrade an existing steup, migrating the existing config and data. Not
simple...