directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: PMD
Date Mon, 04 May 2015 19:59:54 GMT
Le 04/05/15 19:36, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
>> Le 03/05/15 18:18, Shawn McKinney a écrit :
>>> Do we have an ‘official’ project position on the use of PMD?
>> No, but we can.
>>
>>> Is it employed within the others?
>> It has been disabled for ApacheDS.
>>
>>> I am considering adding these checks to the fortress builds.
>> I think it's valuable to have it. The key is tunning PMD correctly,
>> otherwise you'll have potentially thousands of warnings. For instance,
>> in the LDAP API, we have 150 critical, 1901 major, 340 minor and 106
>> infos. For ApacheDS, it's even worse, with 172 critical, 2731 major, 808
>> minor and 97 info. Studio is the worst, with 273 critical, 3700 major,
>> 10892 minor and 456 infos. I teave to you imagine how long it would take
>> to get those fixed...
>>
>> Btw, we can ask for the various projects to be added to
>> analysis.apache.org. Here are the result for some of our current projects :
>>
>> ApacheDS : https://analysis.apache.org/dashboard/index/114786
>> LDAP API : https://analysis.apache.org/dashboard/index/123841
>> Studio   : https://analysis.apache.org/dashboard/index/118180
>>
> I think it is great to add such metrics from the beginning to new
> projects like Kerby. And let the build fail fast to keep quality high.

FTR, I have asked to add the Mavibot, Kerby and Fortress projects to
analysis.apache.org :

> For old projects it is hard to establish, especially if developers like
> me are lazy ;)

Well, we can establish it, but if we have to catch up with all the
errors and warning, we will do only that for the next 6 months ;-)

OTOH, this is the kind of stuff I *love* to do when my brain is running
slow : I feel I'm actually doing something instead of watching files
flying...