directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <m...@stefan-seelmann.de>
Subject nbSubordnates, nbChildren, was: Work in progress...
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2016 19:45:47 GMT
On 03/06/2016 02:49 AM, Emmanuel L├ęcharny wrote:
> I think it will be very useful for studio, when running against
> ApacheDS, as once can now expose the number of *real* childrens and
> subrdinates without having to fetch them from teh server (more
> important, we won't be limited by the SizeLimit that can be set -
> typically 1000).
>
> I wish we can have the same feature added to OpenLDAP and the other
> servers...

Well some servers support something similar: Novell has a
"subordinateCount" AT, SunDS/OpenDS/OpenDJ have a "numSubordinates" and
"hasSubordinates" AT. numSubordinates is defined in an expired draft [1]
and has OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.453.16.2.103 assigned. hasSubordinates is even
defined in X.501 and has official OID 2.5.18.9 assigned.

In Studio we use those attributes but only to indicate if an entry
contains children or not and ot make the item in the tree expandable or not.

Maybe we can add at lease hasSubordinates additionally, then other LDAP
clients that already support it can leverage it.

I think numSubordinates and subordinateCount only mean the number of
direct children, whereas our nbSubordinates means all.

I think in Studio we can add support for those, we can extend the number
shown for an entry like that:

    ou=users (1000/23456/456789)

which means 1000 entries fetched, out of 23456 direct children out of
456789 total subordinates.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boreham-numsubordinates-01