directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <m...@stefan-seelmann.de>
Subject Re: [Fortress] Problem generating the source release distro for the realm
Date Wed, 09 Mar 2016 20:08:01 GMT
On 03/09/2016 02:02 PM, Shawn McKinney wrote:
> This an area I am still learning.  A release has the following parts:
>
> 1. binaries, sources, javadocs, distributed by maven
> 2. source-release packages, distributed by apache
>
> What else is there?  And where does the 'mvn site' step fit in?
>
> I understand that mvn site generates html pages for publishing
> release documentation to a website.  But we don’t do that, nor
> do *I think* it’s necessary, since we have another process.  It
> appears the site plugin is when the source-release package is
> generated.  Are you telling me that we don’t have to generate
> source-release packages for every component upon release?

The source package is *the* package we vote on, so it is always required.

The source release package is generated during "mvn release:perform"
when the "-Papache-release" profile is active, not during "mvn site". So
I think you can just skip step 6. Hm, I see on step 12 that parts of the
generated site (Javadocs and Xref) are then published ot the website. So
makes sense to generate the site. But it is not required to generate it
during the release process, anytime later you can checkout the tag and
generate the site again. But we don't wote on the site. I hope that was
not too confusing.

Stefan