directory-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn McKinney <smckin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Directory Fortress 1.0-RC42
Date Sat, 12 Mar 2016 13:41:55 GMT

> On Mar 12, 2016, at 7:20 AM, Chris Pike <clp207@psu.edu> wrote:
>
> I'm new to the process and I think it would help if you provided a basic overview...
Who is allowed vote, how does someone vote, what happens when a vote is passed, what is expected
of someone who votes yes, etc...?

Chris,

a really good question.  The short answer, anyone can vote.

The longer answer.  There are two types of votes, binding and non-binding.  PMC’s are binding,
everyone else is non.  As for what is expected, make sure the packages build cleanly on either
/ both java 7 & 8.  Usually that is enough as tests should automatically run on mvn install.
 Fortress is a bit different now and requires the tests to be run manually after the setup
and config (which is itself a problem that deserves attention).

Test the component in the way you use it.  I know you have run with a mirror.  Pull the 1.0-RC42
tag and run that through your smoke tests.  A reasonable effort is good.  You shouldn’t
have to spend more than an hour in the worst case.  In truth it should be more like 10 minutes.

To place your vote, reply to this thread with a

+1 (accept)
+/- 0 (abstain)
-1 (reject)

Your vote is non-binding but like Stefan said actually counts for quite a lot.  I usually
also comment on the specifics of what I did.  e.g. ran the mvn install and mvn tests on java
8, centos 7, or whatever.

There is of course more to this answer, but this should get you started.  I’ll let the old-timers
chime in with the definitive version.

Shawn