directory-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Emmanuel Lécharny <>
Subject Re: ApacheDS cache changes
Date Sat, 04 Nov 2017 15:31:34 GMT

Le 04/11/2017 à 13:28, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
> On 11/04/2017 12:50 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>> I'm (slowly) reviewing the way we use cache in ApacheDS, as we need to
>> use one in Mavibot. Currently, we have a CacheService that is managing
>> the caches, hidding a bit of their initialization and such things.
>> I'm not sure it's really well implemented :
>> - it does not abstract the cache system we use (it's dependent on
>> ehcache atm)
>> - it just provide a way to add a cache, remove it or get it
>> - it depends on a configuration file on disk
>> The third part is really annoying, especially for those who want to
>> embed the system.
>> I do think we have all we need in teh ApacheDS configuration, ie the
>> cache size. We don't persist anything on disk, we don't use any specific
>> feature related to the cache system we use.
>> Here is what I suggest we do :
>> - make the CacheService cache agnostic : it should work with ehcahce or
>> any other cache system we might want to use
>> - mahe the Cache instance we return be an abstraction over the cache
>> returned by the underlying cache system
>> - get rid of the configuration file
>> I don't think it would take long, it's quite isolated in the code (and
>> that is the only good aspect of the cache service).
>> If ayone of you have some better idea, or proposal, please feel free to
>> express yourselves :-)
> Sound good, do that change.
> The only concerns I have that
> a) we are in the middle of svn->git migration and
> b) the "value" branch which already lives since March 2016, which
> contains changes not in trunks
> I really think we should do that first, finish the git migration and
> merge back the "value" branches, so we have one clear main development
> line, so other contributors are not confused.

I don't disagree :-)

As I said before, I have pending changes in the value branch that I
would like to commit before the commit, but considering the litle time I
have to do it properly, it's probably a good timing to commit what I
have, regardless of its status, do the migration, then fix the branch later.

Let me do that.

Thanks for the feedback, Stefan.

Emmanuel Lecharny

View raw message