directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <m...@stefan-seelmann.de>
Subject Re: ApacheDS cache changes
Date Sat, 04 Nov 2017 12:28:30 GMT
On 11/04/2017 12:50 PM, Emmanuel L├ęcharny wrote:
> Hi guys,
>

> I'm (slowly) reviewing the way we use cache in ApacheDS, as we need to
> use one in Mavibot. Currently, we have a CacheService that is managing
> the caches, hidding a bit of their initialization and such things.
>
> I'm not sure it's really well implemented :
>
> - it does not abstract the cache system we use (it's dependent on
> ehcache atm)
>
> - it just provide a way to add a cache, remove it or get it
>
> - it depends on a configuration file on disk
>

> The third part is really annoying, especially for those who want to
> embed the system.
>

> I do think we have all we need in teh ApacheDS configuration, ie the
> cache size. We don't persist anything on disk, we don't use any specific
> feature related to the cache system we use.
>

> Here is what I suggest we do :
>
> - make the CacheService cache agnostic : it should work with ehcahce or
> any other cache system we might want to use
>
> - mahe the Cache instance we return be an abstraction over the cache
> returned by the underlying cache system
>
> - get rid of the configuration file
>

> I don't think it would take long, it's quite isolated in the code (and
> that is the only good aspect of the cache service).
>

> If ayone of you have some better idea, or proposal, please feel free to
> express yourselves :-)

Sound good, do that change.

The only concerns I have that
a) we are in the middle of svn->git migration and
b) the "value" branch which already lives since March 2016, which
contains changes not in trunks

I really think we should do that first, finish the git migration and
merge back the "value" branches, so we have one clear main development
line, so other contributors are not confused.

Kind Regards,
Stefan