directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Moyer, Steven William" <sw...@psu.edu>
Subject SCIMple release process
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2018 14:21:53 GMT
I've read through a few of the release documents for other Apache Directory projects and have
a few questions for the team.  With SCIMple we've been gradually moving towards having a continuous
delivery workflow and, while we've still got a ways to go, I'm wondering what that would look
like within the context of the Apache Directory project.  Like Mockito, we're envisioning
a future where every commit (to the develop branch) might be released.  Larger changes to
the code would be developed on feature branches until they're ready to be merged.

At the moment I'm a bit concerned because we've released the old PSU SCIMple project three
times since the project was moved here - simply because we were fixing bugs that had to be
addressed to be SCIM compliant and we don't have a process in place to release Apache SCIMple
yet.  This in my opinion is dangerous as we could end up with fixes that aren't "forward-ported"
to Apache SCIMple.  Clearly we also don't want to call for a vote several times a week or
even several times a month.

Looking at the ApacheDS project, I think many of the listed steps are taken care of by our
use of the jgitflow plugin - the creation of an RC branch, tagging and management of the POM
versions all happens automatically.  Since this is a library, some of the other steps aren't
applicable at all (building an installer).  In any case, I think it's worth having a discussion
about what an Apache Directory CD project would look like.

As an aside, there was a previous thread that referenced changes to the Apache release requirements.
 I couldn't find that document at all so if someone would be nice enough to provide a link,
I'll continue my research there.

Thanks,

Steve