directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Studio] ModifyPasword operation support
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2020 22:02:52 GMT

On 05/03/2020 18:17, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> On 3/5/20 9:02 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:

>>> A menu entry (maybe within an "Extended Operations" sub-menu) in the
>>> context makes most sense to me.
>>
>> Yes, sounds legit. It might also be worthful to have a popup where you
>> can pick the user then modify its password.
> Hm, I thought if it's just in the context menu of the entry you select
> in the left-hand tree then we already know the user (it's DN). Studio
> also has sufficient search capabilities to find an entry, so also the
> context menu of search result entries can containt the new menu.

I think both options are valid. Either you have the entry in the
browser, you right click on it, and get the option to change its
password, or you don't want to bother finding the entry (something that
might be good if there are thousands of entries...), so having the
possibility to have a global menu entry that offers the possibility to
find an entry is good to have.

Note that we can send the PasswordModify operation with no DN, in this
case the logged in user will see its password modified.

> When clicking we have of course a popup where to enter the new password,
> and showing the DN. We can reuse the existing password widget in case it
> should be posssible to select different hashing methods, but I don't
> know what the extended op supports.

The idea is to not select any hash value : the server will do that. All
in all, we just enter the previous password, the new one, and send all
that to the server using the PasswordModify extended operation.
Optionally, we may even not provide a password, the server will then
generate one and return it.

>> Implementation wise, the tricky part is to check that the server
>> supports the extended operation (I think most of them do).
> Shouldn't that be exposed in RootDSE?

Yes, the PasswdModifyOID (1.3.6.1.4.1.4203.1.11.1) value should be
returned in the RootDSE supportedExtension attribute.