directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <m...@stefan-seelmann.de>
Subject Re: Translation query
Date Tue, 12 May 2020 20:47:02 GMT
Hi Andrew,

On 5/12/20 3:21 PM, Andrew Wetmore wrote:
> I am trying to assemble a list of translation/localization tools that
> Apache projects have had good experiences with. Someone mentioned that the
> Directory project provides some translated materials, so I wondered if I
> could find out what tool(s) you use and what your experience with them has
> been.

I'm only aware that our "Studio" provides some translations, where I can
give you some details.

Studio is based on the Eclipse framework. For all the components we
reuse from Eclipse (standard menus and dialogs, preferences) we just use
the translation packages they provide.

For our own plugins we follow the Eclipse approach and use so-called
resource bundles which means that there is one properties file per
language for each plugin and each Java package. This is quite messy
because all the translations are spread across hundreds of files.

We currently provide 3 languages: English, French, German. That's by
coincidence the languages the developers speak ;). But AFAIK we never
reached out to the community to provide more translation.

I personally don't use any particular tool to do translations but just
edit the properties files directly.

I hope that helps, I'm happy to answer more questions :)

Kind Regards,
Stefan