directory-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn McKinney <smckin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LDAP API question
Date Thu, 07 May 2020 13:07:45 GMT

> On May 6, 2020, at 1:47 PM, Stefan Seelmann <mail@stefan-seelmann.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Shawn,
>
> whoops, I hope you didn't feel offended, that wasn't my intention.

I was not offended Stefan.  We’re just a couple of old timers, swapping stories.  :-)

The code doesn’t lie.  It is what it is.

> I can absolutely feel with you. When browsing the Studio code there is
> no class without warning where deprecated APIs (especially from Eclipse
> framework) are used. And even if we migrated from JNDI to LDAP API,
> there are still places where JNDI classes are used as it's heavy
> interweaved. The worst part for me is that I think I spend 80% of the
> time with changes to keep it running on new Eclipse and Java versions.

Studio’s a big program.  It would be a huge effort to convert to the ldap API.  Not sure
it would be worth that effort.  Working code wins.  Perhaps one day, someone will volunteer.
Would be a great learning project.

On Fortress, we need to get on the LDAP API 2.x branch.  Even that relatively small task has
been in the backlog for over a year.

No apologies, only opportunities.

—
Shawn