directory-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn McKinney <smckin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LDAP API question
Date Wed, 06 May 2020 13:46:01 GMT

> On May 4, 2020, at 1:18 PM, Stefan Seelmann <mail@stefan-seelmann.de> wrote:
>
> On 5/4/20 5:18 PM, Shawn McKinney wrote:
>> I could see how an encoding feature would be useful in the API.  I’ll let the others
chime in if it’s available (in the api), my assumption, not.

>> In fortress we encode beforehand, using ‘escapeLDAPSearchFilter’, in this module:
>
> Especially for filters consider to use the filter builder:
> https://directory.apache.org/api/user-guide/2.11-filter-builder.html

Hi Stefan,

When we migrated fortress into directory project the ldap data access functions were converted
from unbound to apache ldap api.  When I say ‘we' I mean Emmanuel largely did the work.
 As I recall it took him about 2.5 days to convert many thousand lines of code. Keep in mind,
this back in his single days.  ;-)

Anyway, there’s a long list of changes that should be made to improve the way fortress interacts
with ldap.

Right now, the Dao’s just create ldap search filters using old-fashioned, brute force-string
concats, no builder.

Same goes for object creates, no templates, just a collection of default attributes.

So, there are many capabilities in the api we could be using, stuck in the old ways.

Thanks for chiming in.

—
Shawn