directory-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn McKinney <smckin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LDAP API question
Date Wed, 06 May 2020 13:38:41 GMT

> On May 4, 2020, at 11:08 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Now, we don't have any implemented solution to deal with auto-escaping - accordingly
to the RFC of course - of a value that is provided. Again,
> for PostalAddress, where '$' and '\' must be escaped, those chars *have* to have been
escaped before hand. We *could* so this escaping within the
> API though: everytime you create an Attribute, the value is controlled against the associated
SyntaxChecker - which in the postalAddress case is
> clearly lacking, as we don't check if the '$' and '\' chars escaping is not checked).
>
> I think that could be a good addition to the API, and we could do that in each AttributeType
SyntaxChecker. That would not be complex not costly
> to add, except that we have many SyntaxChecker classes (76) although not all of them
require auto-escaping.

> I would suggest you create a JIRTA for that task.

Stefan, are you saying there are up to 76 classes that would have to be modified to support
auto escaping the input chars?

Agree that it should cover all attribute types.

Sounds like a lot of work to implement and test but agree that the API is the right place
for this to happen.  It’s clearly an area that users need help.

I’ll create the ticket.

Thanks,

—
Shawn