directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <m...@stefan-seelmann.de>
Subject Re: LDAP API question
Date Wed, 06 May 2020 18:47:21 GMT
Hi Shawn,

whoops, I hope you didn't feel offended, that wasn't my intention.

I can absolutely feel with you. When browsing the Studio code there is
no class without warning where deprecated APIs (especially from Eclipse
framework) are used. And even if we migrated from JNDI to LDAP API,
there are still places where JNDI classes are used as it's heavy
interweaved. The worst part for me is that I think I spend 80% of the
time with changes to keep it running on new Eclipse and Java versions.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

On 5/6/20 4:50 PM, Shawn McKinney wrote:

>> On May 6, 2020, at 8:46 AM, Shawn McKinney <smckinney@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> So, there are many capabilities in the api we could be using, stuck in the old ways.
>
> To be fair, by old ways…
>
> Fortress was first written using netscape ldap api, back in say ’09.
>
> Next, it was converted to unbound, but in a compatibility mode (as I recall), before
finally to the apache ldap api today.

> Not to say that old is necessarily bad.  The netscape api was actually quite good, but
primitive, and of course obsolete (dead).

> Nowadays the programmer wants a more object or (perhaps) functional view of the component,
as opposed to the attribute style.