directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Move Directory site from CMS/svn to Hugo/git
Date Fri, 18 Sep 2020 07:19:08 GMT

On 17/09/2020 22:10, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>> I have spent quite some time to write down this step-by-step procedure.
>> My understanding is that at some point, you have to spend time to learn
>> how new things are working. Hopefully, one single person can do this
>> work, and many benefit from it.
> Ideally that "procedure" is written as code and can be executed either
> locally or on a CI system :)

Indeed.

Although this is not that simple... There are different use cases:

- one want to update the site content. Hard to write code that does that
;-) Usually, it's all about checking out the site content - currently in
svn, now in git -, use your favored test editor, save it, commit it,
generate the staging site, check the result, eventually go back to step
'edit' until glad with the result, then push to the production site.

- one want to push a release. This is mostly like the previous use case,
except that the javadoc might have to be pushed andd referred in ths
site, same thing for the packages. ATM it's manual - with a hell lot of
risk to lose content with the current CMS tool -. IT should be a shell
script within a jenkins task, or a command executed by buildbot, none of
which are currenly either well documented nor implemented by our project.

Bottom line, there is a couple of days of work to sort out a procedure
and document it so that any of use can use it without having to spend
wasted hours poking The Internet for direction :-)

Ultimately, this is noyt *that* complex. We just have little tilme, and
as normal human beings, we don't like to change, especially when it was
working...

Thanks !