From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Directory and SCIM
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2015 01:17:27 GMT
Le 21/04/15 22:24, Steve Moyer a écrit :
> All,

Hi Steve,

> We've started the process of open-sourcing our SCIM implementation,
> which was originally branched from the Apache Directory eSCIMo project.
> It's diverged so far at this point that it really can't be merged back
> in, but we'd like to contribute it back to the community as a second
> implementation (using a fully-typed Java system versus the mapper that
> eSCIMo provides).
Hmmm.

I don't really get it. You started from something that was originally
OSS, forked it, diverged largely, without any communication whatsoever
with the existing community, and decided two years later to contribute
it back. I mean, we work in the open, we try to benefit from the existig
community to improve what we do, instead of working behind closed doors,
just because it makes everybody feel like part of the effort.

Now, you come with something that will require a huge effort from all of
us to cope with, and eventually propose it as a second implementation,
disregarding the existing code. Sounds to me like a cukoo nest
approach... I'm trully sorry, but after the discussion we had 2 years
ago in SF, I must say I'm disapointed. I was expecting some kind of
collaboration.

That being said, this is not me to decide if this proposal has to be
accepted, or not, and you may have had perfectly good reasons (legal
ones, for instance) to have kept the fork private up to now.

Now, let's move on. Please tell us more about what you bring.

Thanks !