From Stefan Seelmann <m...@stefan-seelmann.de>
Subject Re: 1.0.0 release and new packaging proposal
Date Fri, 05 Jun 2015 17:18:02 GMT
On 06/05/2015 05:18 PM, Shawn McKinney wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Contemplating concerns surrounding upcoming 1.0.0 release.  There is consensus that installation
and packaging are not yet mature.

> I propose we add a new fortress project (fortress-master) to do the following:
>
> 1. fortress-master is parent to core, realm, web and rest and child of apache directory
project pom.
> 2. fortress-master contains installation and configuration documentation covering the
required fortress components (e.g. openldap, apache directory server, studio, tomcat, etc)
> 3. fortress-master contains a pom that has targets to pull down the sub-project binaries,
source and javadoc by version and installs to local maven repo.
> 4. contains target to pull down tomcat and configure to use fortress realm
> 5. contains target to deploy fortress-rest into tomcat
> 6. contains target to deploy fortress-web into tomcat
> 7. contains target to perform base load and initialization of target ldap server
> 8. runs the automated tests to verify the installation
>
> What is missing (or wrong) about this list?  We may need to do one more interim release,
1.0-RC41, to get these ducks in a row before finalizing with 1.0.0.  I want to move fast on
these activities, (days not weeks).

You want to create a new git repo for fortress-master and remain the
(core|realm|web|rest) in their own git repos?

Or should all code be moved to a new git repo, with fortress-master as
parent?

In any case, when fortress-master is parent to (core|realm|web|rest) as
well as consumes those artifacts you run into a circular dependency.

I think it makes more sense to have (if possible all in one git repo):

* a parent POM (fortress-master) for dependency managnement and common
properties, child apache directory project pomof
* the existing (core|realm|web|rest), childs of fortress-master
* additional project/module(s) for docs, tools, tests, etc, that have
dependency to (core|realm|web|rest)

Kind Regards,
Stefan