From Shawn McKinney <smckin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 1.0.0 release and new packaging proposal
Date Fri, 19 Jun 2015 04:18:02 GMT

> On Jun 5, 2015, at 7:28 PM, Kiran Ayyagari <kayyagari@apache.org> wrote:
>
> I suggest we add "directory-fortress-" prefix to the generated
> artifacts(using <artifactId> in pom.xml)
> rather than using it in the directory names. This avoids a lot of duplicate
> words while doing svn st or svn diff
> also also makes it easy while switching directories on command line with
> tab completion.
>
> so the structure becomes,
>
> --master (or fortress-master , just for the parent alone)
> ---core
> ---rest
> ---realm
> ----impl
> ... etc

Agreed.

Back on this a bit more today.  One problem is combing the repos into one while at the same
time preserving histories of all.

I found this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13040958/merge-two-git-repositories-without-breaking-file-history

and gave it a whirl… Seems to work, the history is retained.  Need to spend more time before
declaring success.

In the meantime, here’s the how to combine fortress core, web, realm and rest into a single
new parent repo:

1. Create

mkdir directory-fortress
cd directory-fortress/
git init
touch deleteme
git add .
git commit -m "Initial..."
git rm deleteme
git commit -m "Clean up..."

2. Merge with core

git remote add -f core http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/directory-fortress-core.git
git merge core/master
mkdir core
git mv files* core
git mv dirs* core
git mv .gitignore core
git commit -m "Move core files into subdir"

3. Merge with the realm

git remote add -f realm http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/directory-fortress-realm.git
git merge realm/master
mkdir realm
git mv files* realm
git mv dirs* realm
git mv .gitignore realm
git commit -m "Move realm files into subdir"

3. Merge with the others

Shawn
smckinney@apache.org