From Chris Pike <clp...@psu.edu>
Subject Re: Test Drive the Fortress-in-a-Box
Date Thu, 10 Dec 2015 15:54:22 GMT
I think there are a few options...

1. Docker - Goal here is to build the docker images and use docker-compose to run them (see
instructions at bottom of README). Yes, need to install docker first (don't have to do this
on a VM). If running windows or mac, additionally need docker-machine, this toolbox (https://www.docker.com/docker-toolbox)
should have everything needed for windows.

2. Vagrant - We generally run Linux on our desktop, install VirtualBox, Ansible, and Vagrant,
then run "vagrant up" to start and provision an virtual box VM.

3. If you already have the VM, you should be able to run the ansible script directly. I haven't
ever tried this, but you will need to install ansible first, then a command like "ansible-playbook
-i "localhost," -c local fortress-in-a-box.yml" in the git repo. The ansible roles take care
of installing git, java, maven, etc... so potentially could conflict if you already installed
them. May need to disable some of the roles in the playbook or tweak some of the tasks.

Let me know what questions or issues you have.

~Chris P.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shawn McKinney" <smckinney@apache.org>
To: fortress@directory.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2015 10:23:29 AM
Subject: Test Drive the Fortress-in-a-Box

Taking the new Fortress-in-a-Box github project out for a test drive which was submitted by
the Penn State Chris’ + team.  :-)

https://github.com/PennState/fortress-in-a-box

I have created a VM, CentOS 7 64-bit, w/ 2 Core, 4GB RAM.  This VM has most of the infrastructure
needed to build and run fortress, i.e. git, java, maven, etc.  It does not have docker or
ansible installed - yet.

I have staged the code:

git clone https://github.com/PennState/fortress-in-a-box.git

I have also staged symas openldap 2.4.43 install rpm’s in their prescribed location, roles/openldap/files.

What’s next?  Do I need to install docker?  Or what is the recommended steps to try this
out?

Thanks

Shawn