From Chris Pike <clp...@psu.edu>
Subject Re: Static Config Initialization Problems
Date Tue, 19 Apr 2016 12:34:32 GMT
Ok, I'll work on my branch and get the tests working. What do you mean by wrap Config.getInstance()
with CONFIG?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shawn McKinney" <smckinney@apache.org>
To: fortress@directory.apache.org
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 8:49:06 AM
Subject: Re: Static Config Initialization Problems

> On Apr 18, 2016, at 7:07 AM, Chris Pike <clp207@psu.edu> wrote:
>
> Here is the how the config class would be changed.
>
> https://github.com/PennState/directory-fortress-core-1/blob/feature/modifyBootstrapSingleton/src/main/java/org/apache/directory/fortress/core/util/Config.java#L75

Looks simple enough.

Before you said:
"In most cases, I think we can simply remove the static variable and put a method call to
Confg.getInstance().getProperty into the method. In the case of other static blocks like ApacheDsDataProvider,
they will probably have to be modified to have the same new singleton pattern as Config. There
is a ripple effect through the code if we take this approach, so wanted to get everyone's
buy in before I make all the changes."

The ripple effect is what concerns me.  I’d say apply the change down in your branch, get
the junit tests working, and then we'll know.  To keep the code readable, wrap Config.getInstance()
with CONFIG or some such thing because that reference will be in about 140 locations.

Shawn