From Chris Pike <clp...@psu.edu>
Subject Re: Static Config Initialization Problems
Date Sun, 17 Apr 2016 22:46:07 GMT
Shawn,

I'd like to make these changes soon, but want to make sure you are still OK with the proposed
changes before I start.

~Chris P.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shawn McKinney" <smckinney@apache.org>
To: fortress@directory.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 12:32:41 PM
Subject: Re: Static Config Initialization Problems

> On Mar 16, 2016, at 10:52 AM, Chris Pike <clp207@psu.edu> wrote:
>
> 1. Don't need to code retry logic. If getInstance() throws exception, INSTANCE will still
be null so next call will just try again.

OK

> On Mar 16, 2016, at 10:52 AM, Chris Pike <clp207@psu.edu> wrote:
>
> 2/3. This will depend on the situation. In most cases, I think we can simply remove the
static variable and put a method call to Confg.getInstance().getProperty into the method.
In the case of other static blocks like ApacheDsDataProvider, they will probably have to be
modified to have the same new singleton pattern as Config. There is a ripple effect through
the code if we take this approach, so wanted to get everyone's buy in before I make all the
changes.

yes that was my point.  Sounds like you know that already…. :-)

> On Mar 16, 2016, at 10:52 AM, Chris Pike <clp207@psu.edu> wrote:
>
> Side Note: may want to change ApacheDsDataProvider class name since it's not specific
to ApacheDS, correct?

Correct, it is specific to apache ldap api, not the directory.  Maybe LdapDataProvider would
be more appropriate name.

Shawn