From Jan Sindberg <...@autorola.com>
Subject SV: LDAP connection timeout
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2016 17:15:45 GMT
> Fra: Shawn McKinney [mailto:smckinney@apache.org]
> Jan, one of the advantages to being a volunteer is not having to apologize.

Thanks, but I do prefer to answer when I get addressed :-) And I really, really wanted to
do more that has been possible lately.

> Volunteering necessarily means it will get done when it gets done.  Now wrt
> work quality, that’s another matter entirely.  It has to be good on delivery.
> So take your time, make it right.  :-)

I am still very short om spare time, so I hope I can outsource completion of this task to
some of you. What I can deliver here is a patch of what we have applied in our production
which have run successfully since 9. Marts. Note that this is based on an early RC41.
I can't deliver any automated test, it is either believe that it is a good thing that we don't
get any complaints from our customers, or try to formalize what I have wrote earlier in this
thread.

I think that I also wrote earlier that the patch is a qualified guess meaning that the solution
works satisfactorily for us, but that it might be possible to tweak it a little more with
more knowledge of for instance the real timeout which ApacheDS uses for connections (iff that
is not controlled by some loadbalancer or elasticIp that our OP team has put in front, I don't
know). Maybe timeout should be configurable? But the what should be our recommendation and
advice on how to find optimum? Maybe it doesn't matter :-)
Two months since I started this thread, and it feels like very long time B-)

The patch is attached.

Best regards - Jan