From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Fortress 1.0.1 released
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2016 11:14:35 GMT
What is the project about? Why should I be interested in it?
[rhetorical questions]

The Announce emails are sent to people not on the developer or user lists.
Most will have no idea what the project is about.

It's helpful to have a short introduction near the start of the
announcement to give the context.
If they are interested, they can read further.

In this case there is a brief description of the project in the mail,
but it is right at the bottom.

Please could you consider putting the description at the start of the
mail for future releases?

Thanks.

Some sample announce mails from other projects:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/aaf8f266d7827ab61abf53156644a9f736af5df1e631fc8815c619de@%3Cannounce.apache.org%3E

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/e9bbcdc950ba9e37db6196286e1396a52d99a3b54e6e9710e8c2bdfa@%3Cannounce.apache.org%3E

announce@apache.org:
https://lists.apache.org/list.html?announce@apache.org

On 25 July 2016 at 01:11, Shawn McKinney <smckinney@apache.org> wrote:
> The Apache Directory Project announces the fourth release of Fortress.
>
> To download source or binary packages of this release:
>
>         http://directory.apache.org/fortress/downloads.html
>

> Includes the following changes
>
>     * Fortress Core usage of a non-static configurator
>
>     * Fortress Core usage of Apache LDAP API 1.0.0-RC1
>
>     * Fortress Rest usage of Apache CXF 3.1.6 and Spring 4.3.1
>
>     * Fortress Web usage of Apache Wicket 7.3.0 and Spring 4.3.1
>

> To learn how to install Fortress and configure for LDAP usage
>
>     * ApacheDS & Fortress QUICKSTART:
>
>         https://github.com/apache/directory-fortress-core/blob/master/README-QUICKSTART-APACHEDS.md
>
>     * OpenLDAP & Fortress QUICKSTART:
>
>         https://github.com/apache/directory-fortress-core/blob/master/README-QUICKSTART-SLAPD.md
>

> To learn how to use inside a Java Web app for access control
>
>     * Enabling Java EE and Fortress Security inside an Apache Wicket Web App:
>
>         http://iamfortress.net/2015/03/13/enabling-java-ee-and-fortress-security-inside-an-apache-wicket-web-app/
>
>     * Apache Fortress End-to-End Security Tutorial:
>
>         http://iamfortress.net/2015/02/16/apache-fortress-end-to-end-security-tutorial/
>

> More installation options
>
>         http://directory.apache.org/fortress/installation.html
>

> About Apache Fortress
>
> FORTRESS, a sub-project of the Apache Directory, is a standards-based access management
system, written in Java, that provides role-based access control, delegated administration
and password policy services with LDAP.