From Shawn McKinney <smckin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fortress Properties
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2016 17:24:18 GMT

> On Oct 13, 2016, at 12:06 PM, Chris Pike <clp207@psu.edu> wrote:
>
> I created a Jira issue
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FC-197
>
> Would the new search method go on the ReviewMgr?

I’m leaning toward creating a new public interface, PropertyMgr that supports these ops
for all entities.

public interface PropertyManager
{

 FortEntity add ( FortEntity, String name, String value) throws Property Exception;
 FortEntity update ( FortEntity, String name, String value) throws Property Exception;
 void delete ( FortEntity, String name) throws Property Exception;
 String get ( FortEntity, String name) throws Property Exception;
 List<FortEntity>search ( FortEntity, String name, String value) throws Property Exception;
}

The ftentity carries user, role, * and we could add a switch based on the child for determining
which tree to point to.  Or pass it an enum / other ideas?

> On Oct 13, 2016, at 12:06 PM, Chris Pike <clp207@psu.edu> wrote:
>
> I think the generic method is good for now, long term I really think we should really
consider adding a query builder pattern so that all new search combinations don't require
new API methods.

It’s an interesting idea and I’d like to discuss it more.  My first thought is it can
already be done with the apache ldap api templates.  (I’ve been looking for an excuse to
try them anyway).  That is that fortress isn’t a general purpose api tool, and the ldap
api is.

Thanks,
Shawn