From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Password as String or char[]?
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2016 21:40:41 GMT
Le 10/10/16 à 21:39, Steve Moyer a écrit :
> Thanks for the kind words ... I was going to offer to be on your BOF panel (since you
were at the time a panel of one) but when I went to add the session to my schedule, it was
gone.  It feels like we're making progress with it here at PSU anyway.

> I should have expected your answer below ... it didn't occur to me that each of the password
elements were one character in the actual password - I would have expected them to be in a
containing element too.

The rational being 'you should use a char[]' is that you *can* blank the
char[] just after having used it to store the password. Typically, you
would do sometjing like :

char[] password = grabPassword();
doSomethingWithPassword( password );

for (i = 0; i < password.len; i++)
{
    password[i] = '\0';
}

You simply can't do taht with a String, as it's immutable. Using
something like password = null; does not help either : you depend on the
GC to reclaim the unused String, and it may take time.

So, yes, using a char[] *may* sounds like the right thing to do.

Now, consider that : you want to transmit the password to a remote
server (over a Secured connection, obviously !).

Obviously, you need to convert your char[] to something that is easy to
transfert, lightweight, and that does not require a complex marshaling.
Typically, you transfer hex values as String, so eating 2 chars per
char. This is an acceptable solution.

Note that in this case, you *will* trnasform your char[] to a String,
which is, well, a mistake, for the exact reason we wanted to use char[]
instead !!! Really dumb...

My opinion is that there is no reason to use a char[] over a String for
passwords, if you are going to transit them across a network. You first
don't have a hand on how your doata are going to be converted to
whatever format taht is going to be used under the hood, except if you
manage the transmission yourself. Plus you need to be *very* careful on
cleaning up he various char[] you have used to store the password, plus
all the container in between your code and the socket (it's unlikely
that the network layer is going to use zero-copy algorithm, which means
a buffer will be copied, and not blanked afterward : you still depend on
the GC !).

But there is more : even if you use a char[], there is a (short) period
of time where your memory *will* contain a copy of your password.
Shorter than for a String, but still. A malevolant piece of code taht
periodically dump your memory will statistically be able to get a copy
of your memory during this short period of time, giving it enough time
to capture snapshot. And if your machine has already been poluted by
malware, that means you haven't protected it well.

Bottom line : people are freaking out, trying to enforce rules without
having an understanding on what's going on in a system, and expect you
to overdue, when some other more efficient mesure will do.
Oerengeniering your cde is more likely to have some security impact than
dead simple code that works well.

Last, not least, String are immutable for mere mortal, not for a decent
Java coder : you can have access to the char[] that stores the data in
your String, if you want to blank it, thanks to reflection.