From Shawn McKinney <smckin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Bootstrap UI for Wicket pages in fortress?
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2016 14:37:49 GMT
Hello Martjin,

Understand your concerns completely.  There’s docker support here (with openldap running
inside):
https://github.com/apache/directory-fortress-core/tree/master/docker

Or, we can go the server hosted in a public cloud.

Either way is fine with me.  You pick.

Shawn

> On Nov 29, 2016, at 8:23 AM, Martijn Dashorst <martijn.dashorst@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Shawn,
>
> If you could conjure up a docker image with the prerequisites, that
> would be awesome. Or a cloud instance is also good.
>
> While we love to learn, there's only so much time we can devote to
> this undertaking. I'd rather focus on the bootstrap+wicket side than
> working on 2-4 weeks of configuration.
>
> Martijn
>

> On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 4:19 PM, Shawn McKinney <smckinney@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> On Nov 24, 2016, at 8:06 AM, Martijn Dashorst <martijn.dashorst@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> Just to set some expectations, we have about 1 day every 2 weeks to
>>> spend on something other than our normal work. As she is learning
>>> these technologies we can claim that time for work on fortress.
>>>

>> Yes, this is both fine and very much appreciated.
>>

>>> On Nov 24, 2016, at 8:06 AM, Martijn Dashorst <martijn.dashorst@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> I've just checked out the project, and afaics the project would entail
>>> directory-fortress-commander. This is ~64 Wicket pages that need some
>>> tender love.
>>>

>> Yes, it would be good if it can be broken into phases.
>>

>>> On Nov 24, 2016, at 8:06 AM, Martijn Dashorst <martijn.dashorst@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> I've also looked if there are some instructions setting up a
>>> development environment, but didn't find any on the site (other than
>>> clone the repository).
>>>

>> Sorry, we should have a pointer there to these instructions:
>> https://github.com/apache/directory-fortress-core/blob/master/README-QUICKSTART-APACHEDS.md
>>
>> Let me know if you need a windows or mac dev env and I’ll prepare the documentation.
>>
>> The steps for dev env require an ldap server installed, configured w/ schema, data
loaded, and tested (optional).  There is another clone required:
>> https://github.com/apache/directory-fortress-core
>>
>> Before you can build, deploy and test the fortress-web component, which is wholly
dependent on the core for its ldap functionality.

>> When you reach, SECTION 5. Apache Tomcat Setup, if you already have it installed
to your dev env, only do this:
>> 2. Download the fortress realm proxy jar into tomcat/lib folder:
>>  sudo wget http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache/directory/fortress/fortress-realm-proxy/2.0.0-RC1/fortress-realm-proxy-2.0.0-RC1.jar
-P /usr/local/tomcat8/lib

>> which is to download the fortress-realm proxy jar into the /lib folder of your tomcat
instance (and restarted). The realm is the container security impl that fortress web uses
for authentication and coarse-grained authorization.  It also where the session is first established
when the user first logs onto the app.

>> Skip SECTION 6. Apache Fortress Rest Setup as it’s not needed.
>>
>> Then SECTION 7
>> The mvn deploy step of course will need proper creds for tomcat, or you can copy
the .war into your tomcat/webapps folder manually and it should work fine.

>> As we’re dealing with an LDAP server which is akin to the complexity of an RDBMS,
there is an initial learning curve that can make simple steps tricky.  For example loading
the schema in apacheds can be hard for the unindoctrinated.

>> As said before I will be your mentor.  Anything you find hard to do, we’ll make
note of, and fix so the next guy perhaps has an easier time.  (for example proper instructions
on fortress-web)

>> So i must warn you that there’ll be extra challenges on our project that perhaps
you would not have on another.  But this may actually be a good thing because ldap knowledge
can be useful (me thinks).

>> I am also open to hosting a server in the cloud for you, that you can just be pointed
to when working on this project, so you don’t have to have one running inside your dev env.