From Shawn McKinney <smckin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A call to arms (for fortress case studies)
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2017 15:28:46 GMT
Just a bit more on this topic…

We know fortress is being used via the download statistics on our website and maven.  Some
of these usages we’re familiar with, i.e. Penn State, but most are opaque.

<soapbox>

So, when one starts to search about fortress there isn’t much out there beyond what’s
been published via this project team — directly.

This leaves an impression of low-traction thus not long-term viable.

Of course security is an *extremely* sensitive topic and there will always be a hesitancy
to publish howtos — especially for internal/closed-source projects (for good reason).

Which is why I offered to publish your story here, on this project’s website.  We can use
pseudo names to protect the privacy of the organizations and people involved.

Keep in mind this project is an all volunteer effort.  Commercial vendors don’t like us
because we offer a free alternative for what traditionally req’d expensive software licenses
before.

If you like (use) this project’s wares and want them continue to be published, we’re going
to need some help to start spreading the word, so we can build this community.

</soapbox>

If you have a story about fortress, and are willing to share, let us know.  Feel free to contact
me privately if there are concerns.

Shawn

> On Apr 6, 2017, at 11:06 AM, Shawn McKinney <smckinney@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Today we lack publications describing fortress usage in production.
>
> Are you using fortress today?  If so I need your help.  We need case studies, how it’s
being used, and the results of that usage.

> Where to publish the case study is another matter.  If you don’t have blog or wiki,
we could do it on the project website.