From Shawn McKinney <smckin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FC-250
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2018 23:23:49 GMT

> On Dec 19, 2018, at 3:10 PM, Pike, Christopher <clp207@psu.edu> wrote:
>
> We use the fortress model java classes for our fortress rest service (both server and
client side). With the addition of that annotation it requires there to now be a property
named "fqcn" on every object or de-serialization fails. This means we either have to update
all of our code at once (not feasible), or do some jackson specific things to our code to
ignore that field (mixins) or have our own branch that comments that annotation out. (was
trying to get away from this,

I’m sure we’ll figure out something other than massive changes or separate branch.

> On Dec 19, 2018, at 3:10 PM, Pike, Christopher <clp207@psu.edu> wrote:
>
> FYI, I submitted a few PRs)

Curious why a PR rather than just committing directly?  Submitting PR’s are for contributors
w/out committer privileges.  You’re a committer, we trust you.  :-)

Although for large changes, please come and discuss here beforehand, so we understand the
need, design, and to build consensus.

> On Dec 19, 2018, at 3:10 PM, Pike, Christopher <clp207@psu.edu> wrote:
>
> What is the scenario where you don't know the type and need it explicitly specified in
the JSON?

Here is where we’ll need Kiran to chime in.  I don’t recall what the issue he was facing.

—Shawn