From Shawn McKinney <smckin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Replacing Caching with LDAP Persistent Searches
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2019 14:59:01 GMT

> On Mar 19, 2019, at 11:46 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 20/03/2019 02:57, Yudhi Karunia Surtan wrote:
>> Hi Emanuel,
>>
>> Sorry i don't get it. Do you mean LDAP have their own internal cache?
>
> No. What I mean is that the persistent search operation will send to the client (ie Fortress)
all the updates on the fly, so Fortress can maintain a local cache without having to deal
with replicating it with other instances. This cache will always be up to date, assuming the
LDAP server is up to date.

Yudhi, I tend to agree with Emmanuel, that if we do this right, you won’t see a degradation
in performance on the client, regardless of load.

In fact, the performance might become better, due to no longer having to flush the cache and
reload (after TTL expires).

That being said, I’m not opposed to making this behavior configurable, assuming we can do
it cleanly.

Certainly we’ll make benchmarks before/after to determine performance characteristics of
both approaches.

—Shawn