drill-dev mailing list archives

From Camuel Gilyadov <cam...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Drill reading links
Date Sun, 26 Aug 2012 00:11:24 GMT
Hi everyone,

We have put together a design proposal for Apache Drill based on our
two-year experience with OpenDremel.

The proposal: http://www.slideshare.net/CamuelGilyadov/apache-drill-14071739.
It is veyr high-level and definitely needs more elaboration, I suggest
using this mailing list for that.

Regarding to the overall architecture described below, it seems consistent
with our proposed design. The storage-format component is part of query
compiler, or more accurately a code-template library which query compiler
uses to generate query plan. I think restricting it to DAG doesn't bring
any extra benefit, it hard to think of query plan which is not DAG but why
restrict backend without clear benefit? The main point behind proposed
design is to make nodes completely generic, capable of executing any
arbitrary code and it seems in line with mentioned Dryad architecture.

Please feel free to ask us any question regarding the proposed design or
OpenDremel/Dazo in general.

As time allows we would elaborate specific topics in our blog:
http://bigdatacraft.com with crosslink here.

Looking forward for a design document...