drill-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <julianh...@gmail.com>
Subject Separate logical/physical query algebras
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2012 19:25:22 GMT
There has been some discussion on the list about the need for a logical query language -- and
by implication, the need for a non-trivial query planner.

I don't have an opinion about what is the right decision for Apache Drill. It depends on the
goals of the project, and I have not heard a consensus emerge on this list. (I was hoping
to hear this at this afternoon's meeting.)

However, the way I see the world, if a data management system has a logical/physical separation,
there are many more pros than cons.

I will prepare a few slides explaining my point of view. May I have 5 minutes to present them
at this afternoon's meeting?

Julian