drill-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Drill design meeting
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2012 05:32:19 GMT
Hackathons for Apache projects are nothing new.

Hbase has had several.  Zookeeper has had several.

Other modes of communication are also commonly used.  Hbase has ongoing
discussions on IRC.  Lucene does as well.  Mahout does as well.

Pretty much all of these discussions are then reported for further
discussion on the mailing list (if they have any merit).  None of this
detracts from the fact that these communities finds these alternative
styles of meeting very useful.

The fact is that these meetings *are* very useful.  Email is limited as an
interaction medium.  Multiple media for interaction are very helpful.
 Drawing a picture on the whiteboard is very helpful.  Of course, if it
doesn't happen on the list it didn't happen is the motto, but it is still
very useful to have people meet each other, bond and push ideas around.
 These same people should then go back to the list for followup discussions.

Calling it a "get-together", "hackathon", "design meeting" or whatever
doesn't change the fact that people will talk about design ideas (just as
they might in a bar or at home if they happen to live with one another or
at work if they work together) and that we who are there in person will do
our best to include remote viewers and listeners.  The fact that some
people met face to face also doesn't change the fact that actual decisions
will be made on the mailing list.

So Bernd, to put it concretely, what do you talk about at ApacheCon when
you go?