drill-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Drill design meeting
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2012 23:10:34 GMT
On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Bernd Fondermann <
bernd.fondermann@gmail.com> wrote:

> For an Apache project it's imperative that all development decisions
> are made on the public mailing list (this list).

Of course.

> Especially for a new podling (e.g. Incubator project) meetings on IRC
> or in ConfCalls less than ideal, because you want to grow your
> contributors.
>
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#communication

I think a mix of modalities including face to face talks is very helpful.
 It is absolutely true that we have to work hard to avoid disenfranchising
non-local project participants, but I have gained tremendously over the
years from Apache oriented get-togethers.  Shoot, I bought the beer at the
first Hadoop user group meeting!