drill-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bernd.fonderm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cloudera impala
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2012 20:28:26 GMT
On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 9:24 PM, Julian Hyde <julianhyde@gmail.com> wrote:
> Aside from license, the other question is which Hadoop distros it runs on. If it only
runs on Cloudera's distro (CDH), I imagine that will be, erm, difficult for some of the folks
on this list.

> Julian

There are some interesting Open-Source at-Apache-gotchas in Impala as
it is currently on github:
Some files have Apache License Headers, some have no License header
and some bear some other license.
(And by the way: Forget about the copyright, the license is the key.
Every contributor to Apache retains copyright for his/her
contribution.)
So, whatever it says on the front plate ("Apache licensed"), every
file can bear it's own License, rendering the plate useless and making
it difficult - if not impossible - for users to decide what are the
conditions to use the respective code.
That's why, at Apache, we've got to be strict about every source code
file, including shell script files, build files, etc.
(creadur.apache.org might come in handy here.)
And that's why we have those sometimes exhausting barriers to release code.

  Bernd