drill-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject query parser status
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2012 21:49:44 GMT
I have checked in a rearranged query parser just now.

There is a lot of work to get this up to acceptable code quality.  Some
quick notes:

- the expression parser section of the grammar uses literally dozens of
productions named with a single letter and a number.  This isn't good.

- the tests don't use proper junit style.  Everything is assertTrue even
when checking for equality or null.  This is stylistic, but bad style
smells bad.  I have corrected about 70% of these in one test file.  There
are lots more.

- the tests don't work because of impossible casts.  I don't think that
this is the result of moving the code around because I don't think that
these tests could every have worked.

- there are unused imports and variables all over.  This indicates a lack
of dilligence and should be fixed.

- lots of methods in test classes are called test* but they aren't tests.
 This is misleading to the reader.

Camuel,

Can you goad somebody in your shop into fixing these issues?