drill-dev mailing list archives

From "Siprell, Stefan" <stefan.sipr...@exxeta.de>
Subject Re: Introduction
Date Sat, 19 Jan 2013 22:54:47 GMT
Should I not just use this here as a reference?

https://developers.google.com/bigquery/docs/query-reference

I am a bit stumped to be honest. I am trying to think how to use SQL efficiently on Nested
Data sturctures.

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 19.01.2013 um 19:51 schrieb "Jacques Nadeau" <jacques.drill@gmail.com<mailto:jacques.drill@gmail.com>>:

* I drew a UML diagram. I saw that there is some glifffy support in
confluenc,e but the free account is pretty much useless. I used omni
graffle to draw the diagram, but this is payware on the mac - is there some
usable freeware alternative? Don't mention tigris :-)

I don't have any suggestions on this.

* I have some ideas on the queries, but I am not sure how I should specify
them? Should I use pseudo SQL? Prose? I saw the syntax document on the
server, it it mature enough, that I attempt to use its syntax? Is there a
BNF or better ANTLR grammar I can use to check my syntax? Should I draw one
up while I am at it?

I suggest you target SQL2003 (including subqueries).  We're looking at how
to use Optiq's SQL parser for Drill.  Our goal is to stay as close as
possible to that spec but add the following extensions:
- Add flatten operator similar to BigQuery syntax
- Support use of selection and output identifiers using dotted/bracketed
notation.  E.g. "select person.children[0].age as
output.profile.firstChildAge"
- Support new functions that can accept nested values including collections
and maps.  For example "select ARRAY_LENGTH(person.children)".

Once you have some sql examples, the next goal would be to manually
translate those into Logical Plan syntax.  This syntax is still maturing so
I'd take it to the SQL stage first.

Stefan

On 19.01.2013, at 02:05, Jacques Nadeau <jacques.drill@gmail.com<mailto:jacques.drill@gmail.com>>