drill-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject report of off-line conversations and develpments
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2013 18:59:10 GMT
There have been several meat-space developments for Drill lately.  Here is
a quick summary:

- There have been several proposals for syntax conventions for the logical
plan language.  Three versions have been built.  I built a version along
the lines of LLVM and a JSON based version that used a constructor
convention along with tight binding of classes to operator types.  Jacques
built a version on Jackson which used much looser binding and supported DAG
structuring much more easily.  Overall, I feel that Jacques implementation
dominates the ones that I have done in essentially every way.  I think we
should go with his style.

- Jacques has been following up his logical syntax work with a reference
interpreter.  I have been encouraging him to move to a
commit-early/commit-often style, but I think he is going to have a working
implementation very shortly.  This should give Drill the ability to take a
logical plan in JSON format and execute that plan directly, without
optimization on a single machine.  It will make it possible to query real
data sets and start experimenting with the logical plan language.  It will
also allow people to start developing translators from query syntax to
logical plan and to start developing scanners.  It will also provide a
functional reference that will guide the development of high performance
execution systems.

- Michael Hausenblas now has employer support for focusing on Drill at
least part-time.  He has been visiting from Ireland at MapR headquarters to
talk with Jacques and myself and has committed to building out use cases
with sample data sets and queries.

- Timothy Chen has been working with Jacques to develop scanners,
particularly with a view towards dealing with schema-less data in an
efficient fashion.  Timothy seems a bit shy about participating on-list,
but encouragement for doing that is on-going.