drill-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Introduction
Date Sun, 20 Jan 2013 09:49:40 GMT
On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Siprell, Stefan
<stefan.siprell@exxeta.de>wrote:

> * I drew a UML diagram. I saw that there is some glifffy support in
> confluenc,e but the free account is pretty much useless. I used omni
> graffle to draw the diagram, but this is payware on the mac - is there some
> usable freeware alternative? Don't mention tigris :-)

Let's start with omni graffle since it is actually quite commonly used (at
least in our community).  If somebody else has a free tool that is up to
the task, we can switch.

I know that IntelliJ does a decent job extracting UML diagrams from the
code.

> * I have some ideas on the queries, but I am not sure how I should specify
> them? Should I use pseudo SQL? Prose? I saw the syntax document on the
> server, it it mature enough, that I attempt to use its syntax? Is there a
> BNF or better ANTLR grammar I can use to check my syntax? Should I draw one
> up while I am at it?

I agree with the others that approximate SQL is a good choice here.

For XML style nesting of element within element, just pretend you have
ordinary SQL but add some nesting syntax to the field references.

This trick will come with repeated fields.

The syntax document has to do for now with the syntax of the internal
logical plan language.  This is the machine generated entry point.  It
would be good to build these queries eventually for testing, but right now
any handy pseudo code is fine.