drill-dev mailing list archives

From Jacques Nadeau <jacques.dr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Introduction
Date Sat, 19 Jan 2013 18:51:20 GMT

> * I drew a UML diagram. I saw that there is some glifffy support in
> confluenc,e but the free account is pretty much useless. I used omni
> graffle to draw the diagram, but this is payware on the mac - is there some
> usable freeware alternative? Don't mention tigris :-)

I don't have any suggestions on this.

> * I have some ideas on the queries, but I am not sure how I should specify
> them? Should I use pseudo SQL? Prose? I saw the syntax document on the
> server, it it mature enough, that I attempt to use its syntax? Is there a
> BNF or better ANTLR grammar I can use to check my syntax? Should I draw one
> up while I am at it?

I suggest you target SQL2003 (including subqueries).  We're looking at how
to use Optiq's SQL parser for Drill.  Our goal is to stay as close as
possible to that spec but add the following extensions:
- Add flatten operator similar to BigQuery syntax.
- Support use of selection and output identifiers using dotted/bracketed
notation.  E.g. "select person.children[0].age as
output.profile.firstChildAge"
- Support new functions that can accept nested values including collections
and maps.  For example "select ARRAY_LENGTH(person.children)".

Once you have some sql examples, the next goal would be to manually
translate those into Logical Plan syntax.  This syntax is still maturing so
I'd take it to the SQL stage first.