drill-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <julianh...@gmail.com>
Subject Drill-dev message volume
Date Wed, 21 May 2014 18:31:44 GMT
The traffic on the drill-dev list is overwhelming. Most of it is jira updates, and many of
those are just admin tasks, such as flagging that a patch has arrived or an issue is fixed.
So, the signal-to-noise ratio is pretty poor.

I don't think that I can solve this using mail filters, even fairly smart ones. If I redirected
all jira messages to the trash (or to another folder which, let's be honest, I would never
keep up with) I would miss updates to issues that I care enough about to have subscribed to
updates.

Likewise, if I requested a daily digest, it would add a 24-hour lag to my participation in
discussions, and I would probably still lose messages amongst the chaff.

I know having all transactions on a public email list is "the Apache way", but it's a flawed
policy. The time investment to sort through the chaff is such that only full-time salaried
developers can participate. (I suspect that many of these are tempted to have the real discussions
one-to-one, or ignore the list entirely and just work on their assigned jira cases.)

Let's have a discussion about this. Is anyone else feeling similarly overwhelmed? Conversely,
drill-dev is working fine for you, please speak up too.

If I don't receive any replies to this message, I guess I have my answer. :)

Julian