drill-dev mailing list archives

From Norris Lee <norr...@simba.com>
Subject C++ DrillClient Hanging issue
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2014 22:27:33 GMT
Hi,

Currently the C++ client uses a variable, pendingRequests, to determine whether submitQuery
or handleRead should call getNextResult. PendingRequests is incremented when a query is submitted
(in submitQuery) and decrements when a query is completed or cancelled (in processQueryResult,
which is called by handleRead). SubmitQuery will call getNextResult if pendingRequests is
0.  Occasionally we have an issue with the C++ Drill Client where it hangs when a query is
submitted just after pendingRequests is decremented in processQueryResult but before handleRead
checks it. At this point submitQuery thinks pendingRequests is 0 so it calls getNextResult.
Also, since a query is submitted, pendingRequests is incremented. HandleRead then checks the
value for pendingRequests, which is now 1, so it also calls getNextResult. With both threads
calling getNextResult, the client ends up hanging. (And for whatever reason, we end up getting
a handshake response from the server, followed by a null QueryResult/QueryHandle response,
and finally a handshake request, all from the server).
Any tips/suggestions to resolve this issue?

Norris