drill-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Oshinsky <doshin...@commvault.com>
Subject Re: [Vote] Cleaning Up Old PRs
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2018 01:28:39 GMT
Tim,
It's too restrictive, unless something can be done to educate (outsider) PR authors like myself
to "go against the grain" and keep asking.  And asking.  And asking.  And asking.  You get
the picture?  I did all that.  And it was ignored.  I assumed that people outside MapR aren't
welcome to contribute, and/or there was little interest in making decimal work properly, and/or
there was simply nobody available to review it (what I was most comfortable believing), and/or
my emails smelled really bad (kidding on the last one 8-).  I asked a few times, and asked
again a few times a few months later, and nothing.  What can you do to educate outsiders as
to what they need to do to make sure a useful PR doesn't get flushed down the toilet?  I spent
days learning some amount of Drill internals and implementing VARDECIMAL (over 70 source files
changed), and did it again months later to merge to then current master tip.  All ignored
for quite some time.

Thanks to Volodymyr Vysotskyi for ultimately grabbing the ball and running with it.  That
complex a change required an "insider" to bring it fully to fruition.  But if the PR had been
automatically flushed, I have my doubts as to whether the story would have ended the same
way.

Thanks,
Dave Oshinsky

From: Timothy Farkas <tfarkas@mapr.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 6, 2018 7:07 PM
To: dev@drill.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Vote] Cleaning Up Old PRs

Good point Dave. With this automation and a stale period of 3 months, PRs would be closed
after 3 months of inactivity. However, if you just post one comment asking a reviewer to review
once every three months, it will stay alive indefinitely. Also if you don't want to do this
you could request your PR to be marked as pending, and it would be exempt from the rule and
never be closed automatically.

The idea behind this automation is to distinguish PRs from contributors who are actively working
on their PRs and contributors who open a PR but then never follow up. In open source, the
latter happens often and it really overloads the system with PRs that will never be finished.
Also having this automation with an explicit time limit incentivizes the contributor to make
noise and comment on the PR to get a review.

In my opinion this is exactly what we want, if your PR doesn't get reviewed you should make
noise and spam us with messages until we make it happen. As long as you keep making noise,
your PR won't be closed, and it helps keep us honest by doing timely reviews.

What are your thoughts? Do you still feel this is too restrictive?

Thanks,
Tim