drill-user mailing list archives

From David Tucker <dtuc...@maprtech.com>
Subject Re: Drill to query Client-side encrypted data from S3
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2015 21:47:39 GMT
Ganesh,

When you say the keys are “custom controlled”, does that mean that only special logic
within your Java application allows the data to be properly accessed ?   There are several
mechanisms within the S3 API such that encryption/decryption occur transparently to the application.
  If your data is accessible in that manner, it’s likely that simply setting the correct
properties and jar files for your Drill environment will allow your queries to access the
data.

— David

On Apr 7, 2015, at 2:41 PM, Ganesha Muthuraman <mganesh123@outlook.com> wrote:

> I am trying to use Drill to read from Amazon S3 where the data is Client-side encrypted,
meaning the keys to decrypt the data are custom controlled. Is there a way I can use drill
with this data given that I have a java module that can be called that will provide the master
key to decrypt the data on the fly?
> My situation: A lot of the use cases that we have might work well with the new approach
of S3 client-side encryption, but for using drill to explore that data. So any pointers/help
here will be much appreciated.