drill-user mailing list archives

From John Omernik <j...@omernik.com>
Subject Bug or Feature?
Date Thu, 04 Feb 2016 16:21:04 GMT
Prior to posting a JIRA, I thought I'd toss this here:

If I have a directory: data with subdirectories with parquet files in it

data/2016-01-01
data/2016-01-02

(Seem familiar? This came up in my other testing)

If I have MORE then one subdirectory,

then

select count(1) from `data/` where dir0='2016-01-01'

 Works fine.

However, if I have EXACTLY one subdirectory, then

select count(1) from `data/` where dir0 = '2016-01-01'

Takes 15 seconds (instead of returning almost instantly) and reports 0
records for count.
Note, this directory DOES exists, so that is not the issue.

If I add a second directory, then the exact query returns almost instantly,
and reports the correct number of records.

In addition, when there is only one directory, select count(1) from `data/`
returns instant and the correct count.

To me, it appears if there is ONE and only ONE subdirectory, then dir0=
 doesn't work as I think people would expect it to. I can't think of a real
reason to have this behave, and to me it violates the principle of "least
surprise", but I am not up on the internals of Drill, so I thought I'd post
here first.

John