drill-user mailing list archives

From Andries Engelbrecht <aengelbre...@maprtech.com>
Subject Re: Date Formatting Question
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2016 22:15:38 GMT
You are likely looking for the to_char function to convert date to a different string format.
You can always convert back to a date by using to_date.

select current_date, to_char(current_date,'mm/dd/yyyy') from (values(1));
+---------------+-------------+
| current_date  |   EXPR$1    |
+---------------+-------------+
| 2016-09-08    | 00/08/2016  |
+---------------+-------------+
1 row selected (0.376 seconds)

See conversion functions here

http://drill.apache.org/docs/data-type-conversion/#to_char <http://drill.apache.org/docs/data-type-conversion/#to_char>

--Andries

> On Sep 8, 2016, at 3:10 PM, Kunal Khatua <kkhatua@maprtech.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Charles,
>
> There isn't a single function that would convert to the format you want, since that would
be a user-specific format and not native to the internal Drill representation of the date
format.

> Treating the output format of 'mm/dd/yyyy' as a string is a solution, using the date-time
functions that was shared in the link by tokenizing and concatenating the date tokens of month,date
and year.