drill-user mailing list archives

From Andries Engelbrecht <aengelbre...@maprtech.com>
Subject Re: Date Formatting Question
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2016 22:17:19 GMT
And I meant to use MM not mm :-(

0: jdbc:drill:> select current_date, to_char(current_date,'MM/dd/yyyy') from (values(1));
+---------------+-------------+
| current_date  |   EXPR$1    |
+---------------+-------------+
| 2016-09-08    | 09/08/2016  |
+---------------+-------------+

--Andries

> On Sep 8, 2016, at 3:16 PM, Andries Engelbrecht <aengelbrecht@maprtech.com> wrote:
>
> Looks like Jason just beat me to it :-)
>

>> On Sep 8, 2016, at 3:15 PM, Andries Engelbrecht <aengelbrecht@maprtech.com <mailto:aengelbrecht@maprtech.com>>
wrote:

>> You are likely looking for the to_char function to convert date to a different string
format. You can always convert back to a date by using to_date.

>> select current_date, to_char(current_date,'mm/dd/yyyy') from (values(1));
>> +---------------+-------------+
>> | current_date  |   EXPR$1    |
>> +---------------+-------------+
>> | 2016-09-08    | 00/08/2016  |
>> +---------------+-------------+
>> 1 row selected (0.376 seconds)
>>
>> See conversion functions here
>>
>> http://drill.apache.org/docs/data-type-conversion/#to_char <http://drill.apache.org/docs/data-type-conversion/#to_char>
>>

>> --Andries
>>

>>> On Sep 8, 2016, at 3:10 PM, Kunal Khatua <kkhatua@maprtech.com <mailto:kkhatua@maprtech.com>>
wrote:

>>> Hi Charles,
>>>
>>> There isn't a single function that would convert to the format you want, since
that would be a user-specific format and not native to the internal Drill representation of
the date format.

>>> Treating the output format of 'mm/dd/yyyy' as a string is a solution, using the
date-time functions that was shared in the link by tokenizing and concatenating the date tokens
of month,date and year.