drill-user mailing list archives

From Boaz Ben-Zvi <bben-...@mapr.com>
Subject Re: Best architecture
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2017 01:06:38 GMT
 Hi Users,

     Drill CAN use the disk when running out of memory (a.k.a. spill to disk).
Currently only the Sort operation is supported, hence you’d need to enforce a Merge Join
for joining, or a Streaming Aggregation for aggregating.
But we are currently working on expanding this functionality to other operators (Hash Aggregate,
Hash Join, windowing, etc.)

And Drill does not work with “raw storage” (i.e., manage the storage pages, etc); Drill
needs the storage to be a file system, or HBase, Hive, etc.
BTW, Drill supports the Apache Parquet storage format, which is columnar – and may suit
your needs.

     Boaz